Saturday 21 January 2012

Day 69 - The Full Marathon

The FM for both of us today, the culmination of the first part of our training, where we have followed the Eddie Fletcher Marathon plan (slightly amended) since 3rd October, ultimately providing the start of our conditioning training for our 100km challenge for Sport Relief on March 17th.

We've both done over a FM in one session, but these sessions were broken down into intervals no longer than 1hr; having to do 42195m in as short a time as possible was a daunting prospect.

Anita first - She was absolutely amazing today, settling into 2:21/500m pace for pretty much the whole time, with only 2 short breaks (at 1hr in and then 15k left), finishing in a 2:22.3 av (3:20:06.6), currently 5 in her age/weight category in the world, discounting the 2 unverified times on there. I am immensely proud of what Anita has achieved so far; she is fulfilling her potential with regards to fitness, conditioning, willpower and competitiveness and our future is very very bright :)

Now, to the PM2 Monitor. I didn't realise it would have issues with times over 100 minutes :)



42195m in 6.6s :) Trust me, that's 200:06.6 at 2:22.3

I started off OK, going through the first 10k at 1:55.2, but the problems started at 14k with the old numb-bum problem. I had to stop too often, cramping twice in my calves and having to take a contact lens out when I got something in my eye, but finished in 2:54:23.3. I need to take the numb-bum situation into account on anything over an hour; I will need to stop, as everything I've tried (Ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation and two different seat pads) haven't worked during the really long rows. Overall I am pleased with the time, and I know I can do better when we do it again (When that will be I don't know, but it will be at least once a season)


174:23.3 for me :)

I also had to get a staff member at the gym to get a mop and bucket - There was literally a puddle of sweat and rail grease under my machine :)


Cumulative distance: 2358790m (1466 miles)

The Journey:
Start - Topnotch Gym Colchester CO4 9ES
Finish - Boldog, Slovakia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boldog,_Slovakia

No comments:

Post a Comment