Saturday 17 March 2012

Day 92 - The 100k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And here we are - Training is Over, 100k day is here.

My best Man James McCullagh came over at 7:15am to pick us up and take us via Tesco's to the venue.

Setup was nice and quick, and I was on Rowpro by 8:10, but a very up and down Oarbits server was a bit of an issue.

Anita set off 8:30 on the dot, I set off in the end at 8:36 and the Oarbits connection, where I was rowing with my buddies from C2TweetCrew Wim Oosterveld (NLD), Abdul Southam (CAN), Johan Hoeke (NLD) and Borut Hafner (SVN), with Stu Thorp a non-starter due to a poor connection. I knew Wim was going the full 100k, but was unaware Abdul was too until afterwards, making it 4 C2TC members doing 100k's today, with Borut putting in 50k and Johan about 17k. All in all an amazing turnout, with Abdul starting at 0430 in Ontario!!!!

We also had a number of friends visit us during the row today, which was really good of them, and provided some much needed distraction from the aches and pains :)

James acted as general ddogsbody today - We both had a range of gels and drinks (Protein, Isotonic, 2:1 Fructose, Electrolyte and Water) which we both took on every 30 minutes, and without his help this would have been nigh-on impossible.

Anita rowed very steadily through the first 50k, passing the FM in 3:24, only 4 minutes outside her PB, but started to suffer at 60k, where she went into a maintenance mode, and toughed it out. PITA was the main issue. She finished just before 1640 at 8:19:20.2, an amazing time that puts her Top in the world this year for the 40-49 HWT ladies for 100k


I also went through 50k strongly, FM in 2:57, 3 Minutes outside my PB and 50K in 3:31, so 7:02 pace, but 50 to 60k was an absolute nightmare, with really bad PITA in my right glute. This subsided with Ibuprofen though, and I got back to a nice pace for the majority of the rest of the row - Finished at 7:17:07.7, which puts me 3rd in the 30-39 HWT men :)



It only remains for me Anita and I to thank everyone who has donated, helped, given advice and been positive during the last 6 months - It feels weird now we're done but the sense of achievement is slowly seeping in - I'm proud of you Anita :)

Cumulative distance : 3320095m (2063.4 miles)

Start : Topnotch Health Club, Colchester CO4 9ES
Finish: Hoshcha, Rivnens'ka, Ukraine (http://www.worldcities.us/Hoshcha/)

2 comments: